- GTA (Head Office): 905-475-3080
- Ottawa: 613-836-0856
Job ID #G-DD03 Greater Toronto Area
DSEL is looking for bright and motivated individuals that are eager to work at DSEL in the role of Junior Designer at our office in Markham. You’ll be joining the Design Department and have the opportunity to creatively contribute to the design of large-scale subdivisions both at a preliminary and detailed design. You will work alongside and learn from the company’s many experienced civil engineers, utilize the very latest proprietary software and play a key role in the design and development of communities throughout Ontario.
As a Junior Designer you will be an important member of the detailed design department. The junior designer will work alongside, and report to an intermediate designer in a typical team consisting of other Junior, Intermediate and Senior Designers. The Junior Designer is expected to participate in all areas of subdivision design including sewers, watermains, grading and stormwater management. The Junior Designer will play an important in role in the preparation of design drawings from a preliminary stage through to subdivision approval with the use of AutoCAD and in-house SMARTSUBDIVISION software.
What You’ll Do
- The majority of your time will be in the office learning from, and working with other members of the design team
- You’ll assist in both preliminary design stage which establishes overall site strategies, and at subdivision detailed design stage where the drawings will be approved by the appropriate municipalities and issued for construction
- Under guidance of other designers, you’ll help with designing storm and sanitary sewers, road and lot grading, and stormwater management ponds
- You’ll help prepare cross sections and details for various elements of design
- You’ll help prepare AutoCAD Civil 3D models to determine earthworks strategies and calculate volumes of cut and fill
- You’ll help prepare hydraulic calculations relating to sewer capacities, open channels, and culverts
- You’ll help prepare engineering drawings with use of AutoCAD
- You’ll help prepare composite utility plans and aid in co-ordination with various utility consultants
- You’ll help co-ordinate & communicate with internal team members and other departments in DSEL
What We’re Looking For
- You have an undergraduate degree in civil engineering, or a related engineering undergraduate program
- You have a strong understanding of AutoCAD and good general computer skills including excel and word
- You’re detailed orientated, have good problem-solving abilities and are interested in continually learning new skills
- You can communicate your ideas clearly in a technical and non-technical manner, both written and verbally.
- You’re highly motivated, organized and work well in a team
What You Can Expect From DSEL
- A supportive place to work
- Competitive salary based on experience
- Dental / Medical
- Wellness spending account
- Company events
- Work-from-home opportunities
- Travel and expense account for on-site activities
- Leadership training program
- Opportunities to grow based on merit not years of service
- Annual career review
DSEL is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities regardless of race, ancestry, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, colour, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, age, conviction for an offence for which a pardon has been granted or any other ground of discrimination prohibited by law. Employment related decisions, including those relating to recruitment, hiring, termination, remuneration, benefits, promotion, training and personal development shall be free from discrimination on any prohibited ground.
DSEL is committed to fair and accessible employment practices. DSEL ensures that every employee receives equitable treatment with respect to employment, and receives accommodation where required, in accordance with the provisions of the Human Rights Code and the AODA and its Regulations.
If this sounds like a fit for you, please submit your resume below.
We are grateful to all applicants for their interest; however, we will only be contacting those candidates who have been selected for an interview.